Articles

Timothy D. Wilson, Thalia Wheatley, Jaime Kurtz, Elizabeth Dunn, Daniel T. Gilbert. When to Fire: Anticipatory versus Post-Event Reconstrual of Uncontrollable Events

Three studies examined the conditions under which people engage in anticipatory construal before an evaluative event versus reconstrual after the event. Computer software informed college students that there was a 1.5%, 12%, 88%, or 98.5% chance that an opposite sex student would pick them for a hypothetical date. When people had extreme expectations (1.5% or 98.5%) they changed their view of the student to be consistent with their expectations, before learning the outcome (anticipatory recons...

Read more

Alain Cohn, Michel André Maréchal, Thomas Noll. Bad Boys: The Effect of Criminal Identity on Dishonesty

We conducted an experiment with 182 inmates from a maximum-security prison to analyze the impact of criminal identity on dishonest behavior. We randomly primed half of the prisoners to increase the mental saliency of their criminal identity, while treating the others as the control group. The results demonstrate that prisoners become more dishonest when we render their criminal identity more salient in their minds. An additional placebo experiment with regular citizens shows that the effect is...

Read more

Susanne Büchnera, Dennis A. V. Dittrich. I will survive! Gender discrimination in a household saving decisions experiment

The fact that women and men often behave diVerently is already common knowledge at least among psychologists. Many studies in various elds of social and behavioral sciences have shown diVerences in noneconomic settings. But only a few studies tried to nd out if there are also diVerences concerning economic decisions. But do woman and man behave diVerently in any case or doestheir behav­ior depend on their partner? Many studies report that both sexes act nicer towards females than towards males...

Read more

Stacey Sinclair, Elizabeth Dunna, Brian S. Lowery. The relationship between parental racial attitudes and children

Although many researchers assume that implicit racial attitudes develop via exposure to prejudicial socializing agents starting in childhood, there is a dearth of research on implicit attitudes in children. This study y looks at the effect of one socializing agent—parents—on childrens or implicit racial prejudice. Specifically, we examine Allports (1954) contention that childrens identification with their parents moderates the intergenerational transmission of prejudice. Fourth-fifth grade ch...

Read more

Alexis Antoniades, Ganesh Seshan, Roberto Weber, Robertas Zubrickas. On Altruism and Remittances

Monetary remittances by migrants constitute a behavior of signi cant economic importance. In 2012, cross-national remittances to developing countries were estimated to be over $400 billion, with almost $70 billion in remittances to India alone. In Tajikistan, Lesotho, Moldova, Samoa, the Kyrgyz Republic, Nepal, Tonga, and Lebanon, remittances currently account for a proportion of between 20% and 47% of GDP. Economic studies report a strong impact of remittances on economic growth, business cyc...

Read more

Dennis A.V. Dittrich, Werner Güth, Martin G. Kocher, Paul Pezanis-Christou. Loss aversion and learning to bid

Bidding challenges learning theories. Even with the same bid, experiences vary stochastically: the same choice can result in either a gain or a loss. In such an environment, the question arises of how the nearly universally documented phenomenon of loss aversion affects the adaptive dynamics. We analyse the impact of loss aversion in a simple auction using the experienced-weighted attraction model of learning. Our experimental results suggest that individual learning dynamics are highly hetero...

Read more

Go to top

1 2 3 4 5